The Bishop's Castle Railway Society and its museum exist to celebrate the short and troubled life of the Bishop's Castle Railway. A railway that was opened in 1865 and remained in service until operations were suspended in April 1935. The line started at Craven Arms and was intended to continue to Montgomery and onwards into mid-Wales with the link to Bishop's Castle being a branch line to serve the South Shropshire market town. Funds failed and the main line stopped at Lydham leaving The Bishop's Castle Railway to struggle along for 70 years.
The Society's work is displayed and open to the public from Easter until October each year at its museum to be found at School Lane - off the High Street in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire.